Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Two More Days

I don't have anything new and profound to add today, just my thoughts as they ramble around. The band sounds great, and I'm really happy to have them. We've had 2 rehearsals so far with the band and I think it's going pretty smoothly. Still a few kinks to work out, but I know it will be solid after tonight.

We open in 2 days, and I think after these next 2 evenings of rehearsal that I will be more than ready. More often than not, actors get to a place where they are ready for an audience, they need the audience to fulfill the last chapter of the process, and I think we've all reached that point. We're ready for the crowd.

I always joke with my friends about making sure not to suck on the night that they attend the show, but it's really true. I want to give my best for every audience. Sometimes when I have family or friends in the audience and I don't feel that I've done my best, I can't help but feel a little disappointed in myself. Actors are always told not to let the performance get stale. As actors, we have to find ways of keeping the material as fresh and exciting as it is on opening night throughout the whole run. After all, it's a different audience every performance and every audience deserves our very best. That's why I generally encourage people (if they can) to come to the show on opening weekend and then again towards the end. For me, even though I've done so much preparation and work and rehearsal, I still tend to grow and go further with every performance. I bet that I'm not the only person like that either. Having an audience thrills me and drives me even further in my performance of a role. That's why I think each show is slightly different, and I like showing people how I've grown throughout the run.

I know that I'm not supposed to think about this, but I am definitely thinking about reviews. I don't hate reviews, they just make me nervous. Everyone always says not to read reviews or not to take them too personally if they're aren't so positive. But that is way easier said than done. I guess I should just realize that some people will love the show and others will not, and that's ok. Some people will think I performed well and others may not, and that's ok too. You can't always please everyone.

I'm really proud of this show and very grateful to have been given the opportunity to play Eva. Every member of the cast is 100% invested and I think that sort of dedication and fearlessness of the material has really paid off.

Until next time!

Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment