Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Shall we get started?

Hi all! So, this is my first time doing the blog thing...so I guess, let's do this...

I say that pretty much anytime I have that nervous excitement, where I'm a little unsure but I know I've prepared so there is nothing left to do but just, do it...I typically say that right before a tap performance. I know I've prepared enough and I know all the steps, but for some reason I'm still a bit nervous and anxious. Instead of break a leg or good luck, my feeling is just sort of, just get out there and do it. That is how I feel right now about this show. I'm excited, but nervous and a bit unsure. I'm sure all performers feel that way in the beginning of a new process. I know that by the time we open, I will have done all the necessary preparation and work, so there won't be anything left to do but just get out there and do it.

I work with / for Robin Berger, New Line's resident choreographer. She and I have been tapping together for years, and I'm excited to work with her in this setting. She introduced me to New Line when I was 17. She convinced me to audition for The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas back in 2003, and it was a blast. My next New Line show wasn't until last October when I did Love Kills. I didn't blog for that show, but I wish I had. It was an intense experience, but it made me realize that this is where I want to be.

To be honest, I've never been a huge Lloyd Weber fan. I knew of Evita, I'd seen bits of the Madonna version, but never on the stage. In fact, I wasn't super crazy about it the first time I heard it years ago. But after listening to the '76 concept album, I liked what I heard much better. I'm excited to be working with such a talented cast on such a great show, and I'm also excited about the concept. From my understanding, we are doing a more scaled down, more edgy, rock and roll Evita, which I think suits me. It probably won't please everyone, but no show ever does. Rehearsals start on the 24th, so I have a few more days to try to get ahead on some of this material.

As for a few tidbits about me: I work at Leaping Lizards Performing Arts Studio with Robin as a dance and acting instructor, and I also teach private piano lessons. I just finished college (finally, after changing schools and my mind several times) and I'm glad to have some much needed free time during the day. During these free hours, I plan to get my act together and go to the gym. Yes, the gym. Most people hate it, but I actually like it. After Monday and yesterday, I feel like I've been hit by a truck. But that's okay, I'm going to go again today anyway.

Random subject change: I tend to think of my life as a sitcom. If something completely ridiculous is going to happen to someone, it will happen to me. I guess that's why I share my thoughts and experiences with my friends. Sometimes they are just so bizarre that they just have to be shared. I'll probably be sharing many of those thoughts and experiences here. Well, off to the gym!

Taylor

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait, Taylor--I'm so excited for you and so excited to be in the audience for this production. Break-a-leg, and I'll be following your blog!

    xoxo,
    GoGo/Margeau

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that pic at the top was appropriate because I've got my game face on...

    ReplyDelete